Friday, February 27, 2015

A larger classroom----ePals




    EPals is a website that connects thousands of millions of students and teachers from all over the world to share content and ideas and collaborate on projects. There are numerous classrooms which are interacting by discussion boards, teacher monitored email, language translation tool. So it is easy for teachers to search for partner classrooms by language, age, culture and so on, and teachers can connect the classroom together so that classes communicate through a private work-space or video chat or email. It is really a good tool for teachers and students to practice foreign language skills as well as developing international friendships.

    As a matter of fact, I think it is difficult for me to setting up a classroom and post announcements, assignments, and other items for my students because there should be a large classroom containing more than 70 students. I can only suggest some students joining in and help the students who are interested in learning languages to connect with students from other countries or other regions.

   
 


    However, I also found a lot of interesting and thrilling activities that can be used in my future class. The first one is writing center. Writings is the toughest part for my students since they think that they have nothing special to share with others or they cannot express themselves freely. The writing center offers students quantities of pictures and videos that inspire students to write more with so many topics. Then I will encourage my students post their writings in the site and I think it is also a special experience for the students.  In addition, there are some interesting games and quizzes of which students and make use to examine their grammar and vocabulary. I can hold a competition using these quizzes and games, which must motivate my students a lot.






    The next activity is students’ culturepedia. First, it shows a lot of global folklore stories that can help the students know more about the culture from other countries.  I looked through many stories which are very interesting, and I am sure that my students will like them. However, I did not find Chinese folk stories in the site. Fortunately, we can add our own story which can make others know more about China. Second, I can pick up some stories to ask discuss about them. I saw a story named “ Let no one snatch their joys” which talks about the different fortune of two girls. One girl married very early to meet her grandmothers demand that her grandmother wished her marriage to take place before her death so that she could not go to school but stay at home to do housework. Another girl could go to school to get her further education and decided to change the situation of the female in her city. In China, there are many similar examples, so it is really a good topic for students to discuss and they can talk a lot about it. Moreover, we can share our ideas with the writer and exchange our views.

    
    Maybe there are some other good features that I did not find in this site. I think it is really a good tool for teachers since it not only provides abundant teaching sources for teachers to manage their class but also offers a chance for students to know more about the culture and peers from other countries, thus, motivating them to study harder.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that you are thinking about aspects of this type of site that you could use in the future. I also hope that you add some Chinese folk stories to the site so that they can be spread to worldwide.

    ReplyDelete